.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Tuesday 2 March 2010

Up to my elbows


Been up to my elbows in writing recently.  It's my preferred state so I'm not complaining, but have been a bit quiet in blogdom as a consequence.  So here's a quick catch-up of the other stuff, outside of that trough of creative words:

Exploring opportunities for the Opportunities page over at The View From Here - contacting publishers, conferences, etc, that might be profiled.

Was in Melbourne at the weekend, catching up and eating extra well, and took the chance to see Avatar in 3D (on the third largest screen in the world, no less).  Loved it.  Though most people rave about the effects, some are less enthralled with the story, but it worked for me on both counts.  (Went for a delicious Malaysian meal after.)

While in the city, also went to the Ron Mueck exhibition at the NGV. Very precise and clever, but I felt like I was looking at large dolls or miniature models rather than sculpture.  The man in a boat and Dead Dad conveyed something more to me because of the posture in one and the starkness in the other, but there was a piece of rough bronze sculpture in the foyer of the gallery (I didn't catch who it was by) that resonated far more for me.  It did everything the others didn't.  Oh well, you can please some of the people some of the time...

I've been reading a fair bit of poetry by Philip Schultz (from the Pulitzer prize winning Failure) and loving it, and I've been listening to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros on the way to work.

6 comments:

gary davison said...

Sounds like a very nice time you're having of it at the mo, Paul. Poetry and writing, I can almost feel my shoulders dropping at the thought.

Any news on a release date for The Tale of the Grease Monkey?

paperbooks website is looking poorer everytime I look at it!

Saph said...

I loved Avatar as well Paul after finally dragging Emma along! - I think the story worked for what is was.

Kellie said...

Avatar was a great movie! I held off seeing it for a while, worried it was going to be one of those films that they get your hopes up for something awesome but then it's a let down.

But I was impressed! It was quite long - but the storyline had me hanging on to every word!

Paul Burman said...

No date yet for The Grease monkey's Tale, Gary, but I don't think it'll be far away - as soon as I finish working through the last of the edits.

As for Avatar, Mike and Kellie, I'm ready to see it again. Thought the 3D would wreck my eyes after the last 3D movie I saw, but it wasn't bad at all. Am ready for more!

Kellie said...

Are you a fan of Tim Burton? I definitely recommend seeing the new Alice In Wonderland in 3D.. It was amazing! Best film I've seen in a long time. Though I may be slightly biased - I've always loved Tim Burton and Johnny Depp!

Paul Burman said...

I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton, but I'm a fan of almost anything connected with Alice in Wonderland, so will be making the trip to see the white rabbit/hare and company in 3D. Johnny Depp always seems to make good choices about the films he's in (although I said that about Sweeney Todd and turned it off after twenty minutes - am not a fan of musicals).