.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Monday 6 December 2010

the poetry of e.e. cummings


I've been a fan of e.e.cummings' poetry since I was a teenager.  I wasted a lot of paper back then trying to write like him.  Every now and then, I find myself dipping back into the two anthologies I own - selected poems 1923-1958 and 73 poems - and rediscovering a few more gems, or reading old favourites in new ways.  Was up to that biz recently when I was working with Literature students on e.e.cummings' work and, must admit, I like them more than ever.

A couple of years back, just as the Snowing and Greening of Thomas Passmore was going to print,  I came across Now i lay(with everywhere around) and thought it would've made a great epigraph if the book needed one, although it was too late to include it anyway.


2 comments:

Swubird said...

Paul:

You would have to post some poetry. Every since high school I have felt like an absolute idiot because I just don't get the hidden meanings in those lines of rhyme. Oh, I've written my share pf poetry to the ladies, but only the simple stuff. Things like Roses are red, violets are blue, etc. Nothing to heavy. My son writes poetry like a maniac, pages and pages flow from his brain to paper. But he's bi-polar, so I don't have a clue as to what he's saying.

But I will say this, those words in your post do sound sweet.

Happy trails and Merry Christmas.

Paul Burman said...

I know what you mean, Swubird, and there are some poets who seem to be deliberately obscure - I don't go a bundle on those. Must admit though - and not quite sure why their words work on me in this way - your homeland has more than it's fair share of poets whose writing I particularly admire. e.e.cummings was, in my humble opinion, a stunning painter in words.