.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Down at the Factory of the Imagination - August report

Okay, I'm a bit late reporting August's figures, but maybe I'm still working on the Julian Calendar... or cooking the books.  Anyway, August wasn't too bad word-wise and there's 61,000 of the little critters perched more or less in place.  The 60,000 mark feels like a critical psychological barrier, so overtaking it is accompanied by a sigh of relief, because now I feel as if I'm accelerating towards the end - that is, if 20,000 words will get me there.

I'm not sure what this next month will be like, in terms of capturing words, and suspect I'm getting to the point where I have to print the entire thing out if I'm to successfully find my way towards that ending.  Like The Snowing and Greening, this is a non-lineal beast, so when the characters deviate from where I thought they were taking me, which they're doing a lot at the moment, I have to go back and change a number of details relevant to how they got there in the first place.


Okay, forget that hotch-potch of metaphors I've just stumbled through - the factory, the hunting, the road journey - maybe I should settle for time-travelling instead, because that's what non-lineal writing feels like at times. If only I could meet a friendly Tralfamadorian.  Then I could let myself know yesterday how the rest of this month is about to go.

No comments: