.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Sunday 11 April 2010

Time out


Have taken the last week off from writing projects.  It's been a sociable time this Easter break, but has also given me a chance to catch up on a couple of jobs.  Mainly, the building of another set of bookshelves - before we have an avalanche of stacked books - and developing my new website.


I've been tinkering away with the new website for months and don't bother linking to the existing site any more because it looks way too clunky.  The new one has involved learning Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver and improving my poor understanding of Photoshop.  Anyway, the last week has given me a chance to hunker over the PC, develop some serious neck strain and bring out the inner nerd in me.  Yesterday, I got very excited at discovering how to create an animated button in Flash.  Whoopy-doo!

It'll still be a few weeks (at least) before I complete the site, I reckon, because I want to get it just right, but I'll have my own geeky launch and a party in digital wonderland when I do.

Painting (as in painting and decorating) isn't a job I enjoy.  I get bored.  And hate the smell of oil-based paints.  Whenever I can't put this off any longer, I find that I listen to the same 2 or 3 albums over and over again as I brush away (drips running down my arm), and that eventually they become associated in my head with a particular wall colour or room or, in this case, a set of bookshelves. Have put on a couple of coats of a stinky tint called 'Bounding Main' and have ended up listening to a good deal of Regina Spektor (Begin to Hope), Sarah Blasko (As Day Follows Night) and Charlie Parr (1922).  Lovely stuff.  Here's a sample.




7 comments:

gary davison said...

I take my hat off to you Mr Burman. I wouldn't know where to start with a website, or anything beyond the very basics of using a computer! I'm even worse at painting (no patience) so a double tip of the hat.

Paul Burman said...

That's as maybe, but I reckon you'd build a pretty impressive bookshelf, wouldn't you? Keep your hat on - it can get pretty nippy up your way in April.

Jane Turley said...

I am looking forward to seeing this new website PB; it sounds impressively geeky - which is worrying - but then we all have to have our little flaws:))

I think I've got the measure of you musical tastes now though - although I'm still working out the Charlie Parr thing. Hats, cowboy boots, checked shirts?? Hmmm... there's food for thought:)

Paul Burman said...

It's not a great recording of Charlie Parr, I'll admit, and so a little hard to go by, but he tends to the gritty end of blues - certainly not Country & Western, if that's what you're suggesting. Go wash your mouth out if that is what your suggesting! Yee-ha!

gary davison said...

You no-kidding, it'd freezing now!!

Swubird said...

Paul:

I am looking forward to seeing your new web site. When I get some time, I also want to build a site. It sounds like a challenge and great fun.

Happy trails.

Paul Burman said...

It is a challenge and, for the most part, I find it fun. My biggest challenge is to stop my head from trying to work out solutions in the middle of night when I should be snoring instead :-)