.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Thursday 3 June 2010

Recent Read: Precious by Saphhire

Enjoyed reading the novel precious by Sapphire recently.  Apparently it's based on her novel PUSH, which has been turned into a film.  I'm not quite sure how that works - whether it's just the title that's been changed, whether the original novel is significantly different, or what - but I like it all the same.  Particularly liked the eye dialect - am always a sucker for this if it's done well (The Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men) and Sapphire does it superbly.  It reflects the narrator's low literacy and makes the story of her systematic abuse (by her parents) all the more poignant.  A powerful story.

6 comments:

gary davison said...

Sounds like my kind of book, Paul. I'll be giving this one a shot.

Paul Burman said...

I was going to email you to recommend this. I reckon you'd like it.

gary davison said...

Next on the list. Just noticed the cover for Grease Monkey-nice! Out this month? I'll be buying the Tale of before Precious!!

Paul Burman said...

Cheers, Gary, but that's not the cover. Just a mock-up I put together until the cover is finalised.

Hope you enjoy The Grease Monkey's Tale when it finally makes it's way off the press.

Swubird said...

Paul:

It sounds very interesting. I'll check it out.

Happy trails.

gary davison said...

I'm sure I will.