.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Saturday 16 October 2010

Recent reads: Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut



When asked which is my all-time favourite novel - a tricky question - I often end up pointing to Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.  It's a powerful piece of writing which experiments with the novel form and, apart from being very entertaining, highlights the stupidity of war.  I won't rave on too much here, because I probably have in the past and, besides, whatever I say wouldn't do justice to it.


Anyway, having recently re-read it, I thought it was high time I picked up something else by Vonnegut and so plumped for Cat's Cradle.  It's a quick and enjoyable read.  Doesn't knock Slaughterhouse-Five from its lofty position, but certainly shares some of its wonderful quirkiness.  And will bounce me towards reading another Vonnegut.  Any suggestions?


2 comments:

Jacob Huber said...

Those are two favorites of mine. I don't have any suggestions, just admiration for the work your admiring.

Paul Burman said...

You're obviously a person of fine taste, JH. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.