.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Saturday 13 November 2010

Recent reads: In The Winter Dark by Tim Winton


I'm a sucker for Tim Winton's writing.  He has a prose style - a narrative voice - that I thoroughly enjoy.  Recently read one of his older titles that had otherwise passed me by (and I think I've read most of his books): In The Winter Dark.

It was first published in 1988 and he's written more sophisticated novels since, but it still worked very well for me.
People drift to the valley called the Sink out of loneliness, hardship or an affinity with the land. It is an isolated place, with a swamp and an old white bridge and the forest encroaching from all sides. The solitude is tangible. But when a mysterious creature is suddenly on the loose, killing livestock and preying on everyone’s deepest fears, four inhabitants find themselves unexpectedly in one another’s company – with chilling results.

3 comments:

gary said...

Could this be one of the rare ones that we both enjoy?

Paul Burman said...

I think it might be, Gary. Tim Winton's writing is always worth a try though in my book.

Gary said...

It's on the list!