.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Chinatown and The Ghost Writer


Recently Ive been watching and re-watching Roman Polanski's 1974 (neo) film noir classic Chinatown.  Although it's one of those films I've come to late, I've made up for that by watching it 3 times, and have enjoyed it more with each viewing.  Excellent.  It's certainly one of those layered films that provides considerably more when viewed more than once - all the little hints and clues, and the over-riding relevance of Chinatown.  A fine movie in every sense.


Can't say I feel the same way about Polanski's latest film: The Ghost Writer (2010).  I enjoyed the first two thirds well enough, but then it seemed to fizz out.  As for the ending, I can only imagine it was intended to be film noir-ish, but it struck me as film lame-ish instead.  Not very convincing and rather disappointing.  Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

No comments: