.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Sunday 27 March 2011

Two-line poem

Was sent an email recently about a two-line rhyme competition run by the Washington Post.  Thought I'd check it out, but it seems these 11 poems have been posted online at various sites for quite a while.  All the same, they made me laugh.

The rules are simple, if you want to have a go: a romantic first line followed by a contrastingly unromantic second line.
My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife:
Marrying you has screwed up my life.

My love, you take my breath away.
What have you stepped in to smell this way?

Kind, intelligent, loving and hot;
This describes everything you are not.  

Love may be beautiful, love may be bliss,
But I only slept with you 'cause I was pissed.

I thought that I could love no other
- that is until I met your brother.

Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's
empty and so is your head.

I want to feel your sweet embrace;
But don't take that paper bag off your face.

I love your smile, your face, and your eyes
Damn, I'm good at telling lies!

I see your face when I am dreaming.
That's why I always wake up screaming.

My feelings for you no words can tell,
Except for maybe 'Go to hell.'

What inspired this amorous rhyme?
Two parts vodka, one part lime. 

7 comments:

Jane Turley said...

Really enjoyed those PB. I think I shall have a bash myself in due course:)

Saph said...

Paul writes articles that look informing,
however in truth they're mostly boring.

Paul Burman said...

Mike, you have such a sharply-honed wit;
how I wish you'd impale yourself upon it.

Paul Burman said...

Jane, looking forward to it ... and responding if necessary :-)

gary davison said...

How could you possibly beat those! My type of poetry Paul :)

Paul Burman said...

Glad you like them, Gary. (Seems strange not having you online these days.)

Jane Turley said...

I agree PB - I actually got used to looking at the big breasts on Gary's blog.

The anti-depressants helped though.