.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Thursday 16 September 2010

Recent Reads: Franny and Zooey by J.D.Salinger

I've enjoyed The Catcher in the Rye so many times, I thought it was time to read some of Salinger's other work, which led me into Franny and Zooey.  Interestingly (for me), because it touches on several similar ideas, it provided fresh insight into Catcher.  A bit more introspective, perhaps.  What I particularly like is that Franny and Zooey makes you work as a reader, but in a way that is ultimately very worthwhile.


I also like J.D.Salinger's epigraph:
As nearly as possible in the spirit of Matthew Salinger, age one, urging a luncheon companion to accept a cool lima bean, I urge my editor, mentor, and (heaven help him) closest friend, William Shawn, genius domus of the New Yorker, lover of the long shot, protector of the unprolific, defender of the hopelessly flamboynat, most unreasonably modest of born great artist-editors, to accept this pretty skimpy-looking book.
Some lima bean!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Mmm I need to give that book a chance again... I had a hard time staying with it, but loved Catcher..
Thought you guys might be interested in my blog. I run a collaborative blog - DysfunctionalBeginnings.com. Literary works about growing up, family, and beginnings in general (expressed in a variety of mediums!)
Submissions go to dysfunctionalbeginnings@gmail.com.
Let me know what you think!
Thanks for your support...

Paul Burman said...

Thanks for calling in and leaving a comment, Jessica. I will make my way over to DysfunctionalBeginnings by all means. Cheers.