.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Monday 27 June 2011

Baby, Please Don't Go by Big Joe Williams

One of my favourite sets of CDs features good old, gritty blues.  The sound is tremendously rough in places - like cheap whiskey and three-day stubble - these being early recordings of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Blind Willie McTell and the like, and I love it.  Always makes me want to dance and open the bottle.  I gave a quick nod to this collection in The Grease Monkey's Tale (pp 94-95), albeit under a different name, and mentioned a track where Big Joe Williams plays (appropriately for Nic the mechanic at that point in his story) Baby, Please Don't Go.

Thought it was about time I found the man on YouTube, so here he is, playing this song on a 9 string guitar, of all things.

Willie Dixon - another blues great - is conveniently quoted under this video:
"The blues is the roots. Everything else is the fruits."




2 comments:

Swubird said...

Paul:

I love this guy. This is my kind of music.

Happy trails.

Paul Burman said...

Glad to hear it, and glad to see you drop by. Happy trails to you too, sir.