.........BLOG..........................WEBSITE..........................REVIEWS.......

Thursday 21 July 2011

Accentuate the positive

This afternoon, my writing led me to the phrase 'accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative'.  The sentiment was close to what my leading character was thinking ('Shit happens; get over it.') and so I jotted down the chorus of the Johnny Mercer song from which it's taken, in case I might want to use it.
You’ve got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don’t mess with Mister In-Between.
The first time I heard this song, it was Bing Crosby's version, although lip-synched by Michael Gambon and others in Dennis Potter's 1986 television series The Singing Detective (what an excellent program that was).  Needless to say, I got sidetracked into visiting YouTube to hear Johnny Mercer and The Pied Pipers do their stuff, followed by a segment of The Singing Detective.  Nevermind, although the word count seems to be going backwards at the moment, I've spent enough hours for one day playing with words.





No comments: